So, you’ve been wanting to improve and deliver the best online classroom experience to your learners. You’ve probably heard different jargon in eLearning. These could be synchronous learning, virtual classrooms, etc. Now you want to figure out if virtual instructor-led training will work for you.
Don’t worry! In this article, we will lay down the things you need to know about Virtual Instructor-led Training. From its definition, key components, and advantages to your learning organizations, to the best strategies to deliver the VILT.
What’s more? We will answer the biggest question: Is Virtual Instructor-Led Training still relevant to use in 2024?
Get ready as we take you to the virtual world of training! 🚀
What is Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT)?
Virtual Instructor-Led Training (or VILT) is a live online class led by virtual facilitators or instructors. It offers real-time instruction using online tools to remote participants. These instructors create immersive virtual learning environments, similar to the concept of virtual classrooms, online learning, and synchronous online classes.
In the simplest explanation:
Imagine your students are taking a Zoom call with you. Then, you are all in a different physical environment but are all connected using the internet. You perform your daily tasks—which is to facilitate the class—through the use of technology, with online tools and a learning management system.
Here are the key components of VILT
For you to understand the concept better, here are the key components of VILT:
- Synchronous Virtual Classes. This virtual method offers real-time lessons delivered via the Internet, allowing participants to interact with the instructor and peers remotely.
- Creating an Online Learning Environment. The virtual instructor's role is to establish a digital learning space that mimics a traditional classroom. This includes tools for communication, collaboration, and content delivery.
- Similar Terms: It is synonymous with concepts such as virtual classrooms, online learning, and synchronous online classes. These terms all revolve around the idea of conducting real-time sessions via the Internet.
- Versatility: Notably, VILT isn't limited to traditional classrooms. It extends its reach into various domains, including learning organizations and corporate training, making it a versatile and impactful method for educating and training individuals beyond physical boundaries.
Benefits for your Learning Organizations
Whether you are training your employees, students, or participants in a hybrid or fully remote environment, there are many advantages to gain when you use the virtual instructor-led training approach:
- Cost-Effective: This approach is cost-effective when compared to traditional in-person training. Moreover, the potential integration of Virtual Reality (VR) in education has been there for some time. Once VR has taken the limelight in online learning, there’s a high chance this will disrupt the corporate training industry.
- Engaging and Interactive: VILT is inherently engaging because it happens in real time. It encourages active participation and interaction among participants, leading to more effective learning outcomes. With the help of social learning platforms such as Teachfloor, engaging students has never been so easy and smooth!
- Global Reach: The virtual nature of this teaching method means it can reach a global audience. This is particularly valuable for organizations with diverse and remote teams, or those targeting an international market.
- Increased Course Profitability: It can be a profitable venture due to its scalability. It allows trainers and edupreneurs to reach a larger audience without significant overhead costs.
- Diversity in Discussions: Due to its virtual component, participants from different backgrounds and regions bring unique perspectives, enriching the learning experience with one another. Online discussions, forums, or an online learning community can be integrated into this teaching approach.
The Best Strategies to Deliver Virtual Instructor-Led Training
For L&D teams, instructional designers, and corporate trainers, the successful implementation of virtual instructor-led training requires careful consideration and planning. Here are some tips to maximize the benefits:
Create an Engaging Learning Environment
A key to success in VILT is the creation of an engaging and interactive learning environment. How do you do it? You can utilize various online whiteboard tools, implement other pedagogy, and real-time assessments.
👉🏻 You can also read the Best Online Teaching Methods, a complete list of modern pedagogies used in virtual instructor-led training.
Blend Learning Modalities
Consider adopting a blended learning approach. This combines your virtual classroom with self-paced learning and live learning.
In fact, Teachfloor came up with a good blend of asynchronous and synchronous learning. We call it the hybrid cohort-based learning approach. It is perfect for virtual classrooms with 70% asynchronous and 30% synchronous classes that solve the problem of Zoom fatigue and short attention span.
This is highly used by the best learning organizations due to its collaborative and scalable approach. If you want to learn more about how you can implement it in your online classrooms, download the ebook for free.
Organize Fireside Chats with Experts & Mentors
Integrate sessions with experts where students and participants can broaden their horizons into the real practice of your subject or topic. In other words, organizing a fireside chat, review classes, or group coaching with experts and mentors can break the ice from the normal classroom sessions. Additionally, It's a good group learning opportunity for participants.
Select the Right Learning Platform
Notably, the effectiveness of virtual instructor-led training depends heavily on the choice of the online platform. In fact, many platforms offer features that streamline class operations and reduce manual tasks. Look for a platform that is designed for engaging and collaborative learning environments.
Here are 3 top of the line platforms and online tools that we highly recommend:
- For LMS: Teachfloor is hailed as the leading social learning platform with its cutting-edge technology that will help you scale your learning organization and corporate training seamlessly.
With Teachfloor, you can smoothly automate 50% of your processes in your virtual instructor-led training. It allows you to focus on the most important tasks without stressing out!
- For Online Whiteboard tool: Miro is the most popular online whiteboard tool. It has sophisticated features with endless white space to play around. In VILT, it is important to get out of the box. Therefore, preparing group activities and icebreakers with online tools can heighten engagement.
💡 Bonus tip! Here’s a ready-made LMS evaluation checklist to help you choose the best LMS.
The Biggest Question: Is VILT Still Relevant in 2024?
In today's world, we are gradually leaving the pandemic era behind. With the significant rise of virtual learning during those challenging times, a pressing question emerges: Will virtual instructor-led training (VILT) continue to be relevant in 2024? Or will something new approach emerge?
The answer is clear—virtual classrooms are here to stay in 2024. Even in our post-pandemic reality, students will likely continue to embrace technology for learning, and teachers will rely on technology for teaching.
What's even more remarkable is that corporations and organizations are likely to develop internal training programs, creating online learning environments for their employees to acquire new skills and knowledge while they work.
This shift represents a growing trend in the future of work. In the coming years, online learning will advance from mere Zoom meetings to more immersive experiences, such as Virtual Reality Training. 📺